Choosing the Right Contractor
Admirals Bank wants to help you make sure you're working with the right contractor for your project. Here are a few tips to help you make your decision.
- The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is a great resource to see what other consumers think about the services your potential contractor provides. Check the BBB website to see what the contractor's rating is like.
- Ask family and friends if they, or anyone they know, have done business with a local contractor who may be able to assist you with your project. You'll never get a more straightforward opinion than from those you know personally.
- Always make sure you're dealing with a licensed and insured contractor.
- When speaking with a contractor, ask for references. They may have prior customers that had such a great experience they're willing to share opinions or photos.
- Depending on your potential project, determine if a general contractor is what you need, or if you need a specialist to accomplish your particular improvements. A sunroom may require a general contractor, while an interior/exterior lighting project may be better suited for an electrician.
- Ask for a written estimate before agreeing to any work. A contractor looking to earn your business should have no problem providing you with one.
- Before signing a contract, make sure that everything about your project is accurately defined to your liking; all the way from daily cleanup to what supplies are included to how much time the project will take.